Stop and smell the roses
How do we stop and smell the proverbial roses when sometimes it seems there are no roses in sight? It is actually quiet easy to do but we need to invest the time. When we make time we gain a deeper appreciation of the world around us. One of the most important things about taking time out is that it reminds us to slow down and notice the little things that make life worthwhile. Despite having a busy life, it is important to know how to be present in the moment; otherwise those moments will pass you by. Why hit fast forward when we could pause for a minute or two?
So what gives you pleasure in life?
Do you do enough of it?
Here are a few Zestful tips to help you stop and smell the roses:
1) Spend time with those who make you smile and make your life worthwhile.
2) Go for a walk and take in your surroundings. Shoulders back, head held high, breathe in and out.
3) Cook a meal and eat at the table savouring every bite and no technology in sight.
4) Eye contact with a stranger rather than looking down at your phone.
5) Take time every day to enjoy being in the present even if just a few seconds. No thoughts about the past or fears about the future. Just the here and now.
6) Whatever gives you great pleasure you must make time to do it. Work can wait and you will probably be more productive if you are enjoying your life.
It is empowering when you start appreciating all the little things. Put them in the appreciation bank because there will be times that you will need this bank reserve to help you through a difficult situation.
As I write this, I realise how the here and now is the only time we will ever have. So it has to be the best, the Zestful best because it is all we have. We better make the most of it.
So I hope you stop and smell the roses today without delay.